Communities & Towns in Parke County Indiana The Bridge Capitol of the World
Parke County is famous for the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival, held every October.
For 40 years nearly two million visitors from all over the world have gathered to celebrate Indiana's oldest and largest festival. Parke County is home to 32 covered bridges, more than any other county in the world. Five color-coded routes wind through these beautiful historic landmarks, marked for visitors to follow any time of the year.
Don't miss the Mountain Man Rendezvous, held the end of April, where the famous Mountain Men provide demonstrations of pre-1840s living. Tour the camps and see blacksmiths, leather and bead work, open-fire cooking and muzzle fire shooting.
Other festivals include the Maple Syrup Festival; the Mansfield Village Monthly Flea Market; the Mansfield Village Annual Mushroom Festival and Car Show; and the Bluegrass Festival and Old Fashioned Christmas.
Parke County is home to six incorporated municipalities
Rockville - Rockville was laid out in the fall of 1823, and became the permanent county seat of Parke County in 1824. Pervious to that, courts had been held in Roseville and Armiesburg. The donors of the land on which Rockville is situated were the first settlers of the town, namely Arthur Patterson, Andrew Ray, Aaron Hand, and James B. McCall. The circumstance of a large number or rocks of the boulder description, lying on the site, gave it the name of Rockville. It is said that the name was dedicated by breaking a bottle of whiskey on one of those boulders. This town, with 2,765 residents, is anchored by the intersection of US Highways 41 & 36. It serves as home to the county seat, which is located in a picturesque stone courthouse, found resting on the Town Square lawn. Rockville is also home to one elementary school, one junior/senior high school, and supports the county's main commercial retail district, government offices, family health clinics, art gallery, library, several churches, convention and visitors bureau, museums, lodging properties, movie theatre, public park, swimming pool, and tourist attractions. Rockville also boasts a proud National Historic District.
Rockville Town Hall - Phone (765) 569-6253
Montezuma - This town of 1,179 residents is located along US Highway 36 and is home to the Wabash River. This river town is home to a small downtown business district, commercial sawmill, light manufacturing, and elementary school, public library, churches, softball complex, and a historic canal bed. Another of the three county junior/senior high schools can be found at a rural route Montezuma address just outside the town of Mecca.
Montezuma Town Hall -
Phone (765) 245-2759
Rosedale - Rosedale was originally settled in 1811 by John Doty and the town was named Dotyville. The name changed when Chauncy Rose offered to pay for the town's incorporation if they named it Rosedale. The town became a recognized community in 1860 when the Terre Haute & Logansport (later the Pennsylvania R.R.) was completed and a post office was established. This town of 750 has easy access to US Highway 41, but sits in a rural setting in the southern portion of Parke County. This area serves as a tranquil bedroom community for neighboring Vigo County. Rosedale supports an elementary school, churches, small commercial retail district, and a family health clinic.
Rosedale Town Hall - Phone (765)548-2528
Marshall - This town of 360 residents lies along State Highway 236 and just east of the Turkey Run State Park, nationally recognized for its scenic beauty and canoe trips along Sugar Creek. The heart of this small rural town is anchored by the "Marshall Arch" and still supports a very small commercial business district, churches, one light manufacturer, and a grain elevator. The last of the three county junior/senior high schools, along with an elementary school, can be found at a rural Marshall address across from the Turkey Run State Park.
Marshall Town Board - Contact (765) 597-2495
Mecca - Mecca was founded in 1835 by Jeptha van Vickler who erected a water-power saw mill which was the town's first industry. Mecca did not make any big growth as a town until William E. Dee, of Chicago, purchased a tract of land and started a sewer pipe factory in 1895. This town of 355 residents lies just off US Highway 41 and 5 miles south of US Highway 36. Although the commercial business district is extremely small and no major employer exists, this small community supports an active community center and a historic school.
Mecca Town Board - Contact (765) 569-3938
Bloomingdale - Bloomfield, as it was first named, was started about 1825 or 1826, south of the present site of the village, where the first store was opened in a log building by William Pickard, his son John opening a drug store. The smallest town in Parke County, with 319 residents, lies 1/2 mile west of US Highway 41 and 5 miles north of US Highway 36. This small town supports a small commercial district, and is home to one of the county's major industrial employers. Light manufacturing and a locally owned telephone company can also be found in this community. Bloomingdale is also applauded for its progressive ability to obtain state funding in order to improve its infrastructure system.
Bloomingdale Town Board - Contact (765) 498-8132
Tangier- located in Liberty Township. The beginning of the town occurred in the spring of 1886, when the Indiana Coal Railroad established a station here. It was platted and named by Captain J. T. Campbell, the name being suggested by current events at Tangier, Africa. A flour mill was built here prior to 1900. It was a steam-power mill, sufficiently equipped for doing good work, but since the milling business was declining, the life of the mill was short. Around 1900, there was a hotel, a canning factory, a grocery and dry goods store, and a good hardware store which burned down in 1924. The railroad became bankrupt on December 31, 1921s and ceased operation.
Bridgeton - listed as a National Historic District and is home to the Bridgeton Covered Bridge which was rebuilt in 2006 after an act of arson. Bridgeton Grist Mill is the oldest continually operating mill in the Midwest. Bridgeton serves as host to several annual events throughout the year. www.bridgetonindiana.com
Mansfield- This mill town village is home to the Mansfield Covered Bridge and many special events throughout the year. The Mansfield Roller Mill which is operated by Indiana DNR is a seasonal operated tourist attraction in the village. www.mansfieldvillage.com